Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Unlearning The Myths That Bind Us

Don't we all dream that our life is like a Disney movie? Daring quests, endless romance, finding true love, and... stereotypes? Who would have thought there would be sexism and racism in our favorite childhood movies? I knew that some of the older movies could get rather politically incorrect but this article was a real eye opener.

As soon as I ready this article I immediately thought of this video I stumbled upon last year. This A capella youtube singer did a piece on how Disney tales all end in lies. It shows the reality of hat would have actually happens i these Disney Movies took place in real life. It was like how the Johnson piece says we need to talk about things straight forward and realistically. He brought this sense of realism to what we grew up loving. Just like what the article explained.

A big problem is that Disney movies set unrealistic standards for society. Both the princesses and princes. They are always skinny and very fit, nothing is ever wrong with them physically or mentally, maybe just some funny little quirks. Even the boys have unrealistic standards.

This video takes a twist. It starts with princesses talking about how they need a man and can't function without one. Then a girl dressed as Elsa from Frozen bring out the powerful we don't need a man mentality (totally true).

I am still in love with Disney Movies. I will belt the ENTIRE Frozen sound tract like its my job... But I may have a different view on them now.
 Talking Point: Can you make a relation to the article to your favorite Disney movie? Just looking back I thought about the song in Peter Pan "What Makes The Red Man Red" which is extremely racist towards native americans.

4 comments:

  1. Noah, I loved the videos that you shared! They were perfect, as well as the picture! Really nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that video was both funny then sad and just such a different story from the fairy tales we all know so well! I love Elsa singing. Its a great song! Frozen was closer to how movies should be in a sense that Elsa didn't have a man she was chasing after and she was the one that saved Ana. Not prince charming. Also Ana's love story is not the typical Disney princess story. Awesome connections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please sing "Love is an open door" ? That's my favvvv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job this week on this article. I really liked the videos that you chose and the way you explained them was perfect. great job.

    ReplyDelete